South Austin Fire Company No. 5
Year Organized: 1895
Year Disbanded: Became Engine 6 of the paid department in 1916
Motto: To the Rescue
South Austin Fire Company No. 5 Photos
South Austin Fire Company Number 5 was officially organized on March 29, 1895 and appointed L. H. Glasscock as the first foreman.
They covered the 11th Ward, which was all of Austin south of the Colorado River.
For the first several years of their existence, they occupied a one-story stone building with a bell tower on South Congress Avenue. Sometime after 1898, South Austin Fire Company Number 5 built a two-story wood frame fire hall at 1315 South Congress Avenue. Like all of Austin´s old fire houses, the first floor consisted of the horse bay and living quarters for the apparatus driver. A dance hall was built for the second story where they also held various meetings.
South Austin Number 5 was the only fire company protecting South Austin for over 50 years until Fire Station 11 was built in 1949.
In 1916 when the fire department transitioned from volunteer to paid, South Austin Fire Company Number 5 was renamed Fire Station 6. In 1932 the current Fire Station 6 was built at 1705 South Congress Avenue. The two-story wood frame structure was torn down and the lot made way for the world famous Continental Club.