May 24th, 2009
The Austin Fire Department origins date back to the late 1850′s. Since then, numerous AFD firefighters have fought in all branches of the US military during our nation’s wars. More than a hand full of these men were killed in action as far back as the Civil War. One of Austin’s leading merchants who helped John Bremond, Sr. organize Hook and Ladder #1 in 1857 was named Robert J. Lambert. Lt. R.J. Lambert was in the Tom Green Rifles, which was Austin’s contingent to Hood’s Brigade in the Civil War. Lt. Lambert was killed in the war between the states along with several other members of the old volunteer Austin Fire Department. Read the rest of this entry »
March 7th, 2009
This year’s annual AFD San Jacinto Day Celebration will take place on the evening of Friday, April 17, 2009 so save the date!
The location will be the same as last year–Fiesta Gardens, which is located at 2101 Jesse E. Segovia St., Austin, TX 78702. Last year’s San Jacinto Celebration–a rebirth of tradition–was a huge success.
In 2008, the Austin Fire Museum and the Emergency Services Pipes and Drums Association (ESPADA) teamed up to put on a successful benefit event of food, music, and camraderie. Proceeds from the event went towards the Austin Fire Museum with a silent auction benefiting ESPADA. This year’s upcoming celebration fast approaching so purchase and reserve your tickets right now through Paypal or contact any of the following members for more ticket information. Read the rest of this entry »
February 17th, 2009
In 1955 the Austin Fire Department created a 12 page pamphlet describing life at Austin’s Central Fire Station #1. Our current Central Fire Station #1, located at 401 E. 5th St. in downtown Austin, was built in 1938 and replaced the Old Central Fire Station (1885) at 114 W. 8th St. When it opened, Centrals was described as one of the most modern fire stations in The United States in a 1945 Fire Engineering Magazine article. Its Art Deco style and street corner location with truck bays facing two different streets made the station stand out as a model design. The fire station is a two-story structure that originally had the Fire Chief’s office, dispatcher’s alarm room, and day-room downstairs. Today, the area that originally housed the Fire Chief’s office and alarm office is occupied by Austin-Travis County EMS Medic 6. The day-room is still used by the firefighters as a TV and training room. The upstairs portion of the station is still very similar to its 1938 design, although it has been slightly expanded and remodeled over the years. There are two brass fire poles that lead from pole closets in the dormitory and are commonly referred to as Engine 1 or Engine 50′s pole due to their location. Of the 45 fire stations in Austin, only Station 1 and Station 2 have fire poles. Read the rest of this entry »
February 9th, 2009
One of our newest acquisitions we have obtained is an old badge from West Austin Fire Company #7. The West Austin #7 fire company was located in our current Fire Station #4 at 1000 Blanco St. For this year’s Austin Fire Museum San Jacinto Celebration (April 21) we will be featuring an exhibit on the history of the Blanco St. fire station which served as West Austin #7 from 1904-1916 and Fire Station 4 from 1916-present. This is the only current fire station in the Austin Fire Department that dates to the horse-drawn era of firefighting.