February 9th, 2010
This year’s annual Austin Fire Museum and ESPADA (Emergency Services Pipes and Drums Assoc.) San Jacinto Day Celebration will be held on Saturday, April 17 at the Waterford House Austin. The San Jacinto Celebration also includes the annual Austin Fire Department Awards Ceremony. The awards are presented to Austin firefighters for acts of rescue, commendation, and community service performed in 2009. The highlight of this year’s awards ceremony will be a posthumous Medal of Honor awarded to Engine 6 Firefighter James T. Glass who died of injuries sustained at a fire on July 23, 1916.
Tickets are 30.00 each for AFD Museum Members and 35.00 each for non-members. This includes dinner, an open bar, and live entertainment featuring the GUY FORSYTH BAND. People wishing to sign up as AFD Museum members will also receive the 30.00 ticket price. In order to receive the member price, tickets must be purchased in person from any one of our ticket sales volunteer representatives. Full price tickets may be sold right here using Paypal.
In keeping with tradition, there will be a silent auction featuring many great gifts, items, and services with the proceeds benefiting ESPADA.
A very special thank you to Siddon’s Fire Apparatus for being our Underwriter for this event!
January 29th, 2010
The newest artifact purchased/recovered by the Austin Fire Museum is this South Austin Fire Company #5 badge. This style of badge is consistent with many of the badges created for the Austin Fire Department fire companies during the end of the Austin volunteer era between 1900-1916.
South Austin Fire Company #5 was organized in 1895 and was located at 1315 South Congress Ave. Their company motto was “To the Rescue” and their territory consisted of all of the area south of the Colorado River.
A special thanks to Austin Fire Capt. David Leonard (Quint 19 B-shift) for bringing the sale of this irreplaceable piece of Austin Fire Department history to our attention so that we could be in a position to purchase it. Thanks again Dave! Read the rest of this entry »
December 1st, 2009
Year Organized: 1896
Year Disbanded: Became Engine 3 of the paid department in 1916
Motto: To Preserve Life and Property
North Austin Fire Company Number 6 organized on August 1, 1896, by the citizens of North Austin, principally from the 5th and 6th wards.
At the time, this area was Austin´s first suburb, named Hyde Park. H. E. Seekatz was appointed as the company´s first foreman. They initially occupied an old wooden building at the corner of 30th and Rio Grande Streets.
Sometime during 1905 or 1906, the company built a two-story brick fire hall at 3002 Guadalupe Street. The building still stands today just north of the University of Texas campus. Read the rest of this entry »