April 14th, 2011
Our annual Austin Fire Museum San Jacinto Day Open House takes place this Sunday, April 17th, 2011 from 11AM to 4PM. This is a great opportunity to visit our quaint museum in our Central Fire Station #1 in downtown Austin. First time visitors will get to see our collection of Austin Fire Department memorabilia that dates back as far as the 1860′s. Recurring visitors will see some of our new acquisitions, including personal affects from 30 year Fire Chief John Woody (1927-1958). Read the rest of this entry »
March 28th, 2011
The Austin Fire Museum and ESPADA (Emergency Services Pipes and Drums Assoc) have teamed up again for a rebirth of tradition. San Jacinto Night 2011 will take place on Saturday, April 16th. Visit www.SanJacintoNight.org for more information about this traditional event which began as far back as the 1860′s.
August 5th, 2010
On July 23, 1916, Firefighter James T. Glass was fatally injured at a fire that occurred at 412 Congress Ave. at the Kriesle Building. Glass was paralyzed by a wall and stairway collapse. For over a year, he laid in a bed in Brackenridge hospital until his death on August 17, 1917. Fire Chief Clarence Woodward retired James Glass’ badge, which was Badge #13. The Austin Fire Department does not have a Fire Station #13 and has never had an Engine #13. Earlier this year, the Austin Fire Department renumbered Engine 50 in honor of James Glass. In addition, during the Austin Fire Department’s annual San Jacinto Day Celebration and Awards Ceremony, Firefighter Glass was posthumously awarded the AFD Medal of Honor for being killed in the line of duty.
During the Austin Fire Dept. Museum’s research for James Glass’ medal of honor, it was found that Glass was never given a headstone and has been in an unmarked grave ever since his death 93 years ago. Upon this discovery, the Austin Fire Museum immediately began the process of purchasing and designing a headstone for Glass.
On August 17, 2010 at 1000AM, The Austin Fire Department and the Austin Fire Museum will honor James Glass’ sacrifice with a headstone unveiling ceremony. AFD Honor Guard and an AFD Bag Piper will officially unveil the granite headstone with attached bronze badge #13. Firefighter Glass is buried in the Walnut Creek Baptist Cemetery on N. Lamar Blvd. in North Austin. Read the rest of this entry »
May 2nd, 2010
On April 10, 1940 Fire Station #7 opened the doors to its new firehouse at 201 Chicon St. in East Austin. Station 7′s territory of fire protection actually dates back to the mid 1880′s. In 1916, when the Austin Fire Department transitioned from a volunteer fire department to a municipal fire department all the fire stations were renumbered several times. Finally, in the early 1920′s the current fire station numbering practice became permanent. Read the rest of this entry »