The newest artifact purchased/recovered by the Austin Fire Museum is this South Austin Fire Company #5 badge. This style of badge is consistent with many of the badges created for the Austin Fire Department fire companies during the end of the Austin volunteer era between 1900-1916.
South Austin Fire Company #5 was organized in 1895 and was located at 1315 South Congress Ave. Their company motto was “To the Rescue” and their territory consisted of all of the area south of the Colorado River.
A special thanks to Austin Fire Capt. David Leonard (Quint 19 B-shift) for bringing the sale of this irreplaceable piece of Austin Fire Department history to our attention so that we could be in a position to purchase it. Thanks again Dave! (more…)