Fire Station No. 7
Year Opened: 1940
Units: Engine 7
Location: 201 Chicon Street, 78702
Fire Station 7 Photos
Current Fire Station 7 opened in April of 1940. It is a one-story, two bay fire station. In 1916, when the Austin Fire Department transitioned from a volunteer to paid fire department Tenth Ward Fire Company #8 became Fire Station #7 and the firehall was located at 1111 E. 1st St. As the fire horses were phased out in the 1920′s and motorized apparatus became faster and more reliable, the older downtown Austin fire stations began spreading out. In addition, the original volunteer firehalls were deteriorating, which led to the moving and rebuilding of Fire Stations 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, and 8 between 1930 to 1970.
During World War II, many Austin Firefighters joined the armed forces. Station 7 fireman Clarence Doherty joined the Army and was killed in Tunisia, North Africa in April 1943. He is buried in an American Military Cemetery in Tunisia. Soon after his death, a pecan tree was planted and a plaque was laid in honor of Fireman Doherty. Three other Austin fire stations have trees planted for AFD firefighters killed during WWII and one station has a tree planted for a firefighter killed in Vietnam. They are stations 1, 6, 7, 8, and 10. Read more about Austin Firefighters Killed in Wars here.