Fire Station No. 6
Year Opened: 1932
Units: Engine 6
Location: 1705 South Congress Avenue, 78704
Fire Station 6 Photos
South Central Fire Station No. 6 opened on October 15, 1932. South Austin Volunteer Fire Co. No. 5 was organized in 1895 and occupied a two-story, wood-frame firehall at 1315 S. Congress Ave.. In 1916, when the Austin Fire Department transitioned from a volunteer to a paid fire department, South Austin #5 was re-named Fire Station #6. Therefore, Fire Station #6′s first actual building was in this old, wood-frame volunteer firehall from 1916-1932.
Fire Station 6 at 1705 S. Congress Ave. began as a small building with one truck bay and modest living quarters. In 1955, the station undertook a major renovation that added two large truck bays and larger living quarters and dormitory. It was at that time that Fire Station 6′s current kitchen table was built. Therefore, Station 6′s is kitchen table is considered the oldest kitchen table in the Austin Fire Department at over 55 years old.
Fire Station 6 is in Battalion 5 and currently houses Engine 6 and Smokebuster 6.