Central Fire Station
Year Opened: 1938
Units: Engine 1, Engine 13, Quint 1, SAR 1, AFD Shift Commander, Austin EMS Medic 6, AFD Museum
Location: 401 East 5th Street, 78701
Central Fire Station Photos
Central Fire Station #1 opened in 1938 and replaced Old Central Fire Station #1, which originally opened in 1885 at 114 W. 8th St. Located on a corner, half the apparatus out of the west side of the station while the others respond out of the north side of the station. When “New” Centrals opened in 1938 is was featured in Fire Engineering magazine as one of the most modern fire stations in America created in the Art Deco style. Fire Department Headquarters and the AFD Alarm Office originally resided in Central Fire Station 1 when it opened. Headquarters moved out in the 1970s and the Alarm Office in the 1980s.