Year Disbanded: Became Engine 3 of the paid department in 1916
Motto: To Preserve Life and Property
North Austin Fire Company Number 6 organized on August 1, 1896, by the citizens of North Austin, principally from the 5th and 6th wards.
At the time, this area was Austin´s first suburb, named Hyde Park. H. E. Seekatz was appointed as the company´s first foreman. They initially occupied an old wooden building at the corner of 30th and Rio Grande Streets.
Sometime during 1905 or 1906, the company built a two-story brick fire hall at 3002 Guadalupe Street. The building still stands today just north of the University of Texas campus.
In 1912, the City of Austin purchased its first motorized fire engine for North Austin Fire Company 6. As early as the 1870´s the City of Austin was purchasing a majority of the equipment and paying the apparatus drivers while the personnel remained volunteer.
In 1915, Thomas Quinn of North Austin Fire Company 6 was killed in the line of duty while trying to rescue two young boys from the area of Shoal Creek and West 6th Street during one of Austin´s notorious flash floods. Fireman Quinn successfully rescued the boys before he was swept away.
In 1916, when the department transitioned from volunteer to paid, North Austin Number 6 was renamed Fire Station 3 (now referred to as “Old Fire Station 3“). This station also housed the fire department mechanic and spare equipment and was commonly referred to as the fire department shops. Fire Station 3 and the shops simultaneously occupied 3002 Guadalupe until a new Fire Station 3 was built in 1957 at 201 West 30th Street. The shops continued to occupy the old fire hall through the 1970´s. For more than 25 years (c.1980-2008) 3002 Guadalupe had been home to Ballet Austin. The downstairs portion of the building was used for administration and the upstairs was the dance studio. Now that Ballet Austin has vacated the building, 3002 Guadalupe has returned to the Austin Fire Department. In April 2010, Austin Fire Department Fire Investigations Division is scheduled to move in to the 1906 former fire station.
With the return of the 3002 Guadalupe fire station, the Austin Fire Department now operates two fire stations that are over 100 years old and date back to the horse-drawn era of firefighting. Fire Station 4, originally West Austin No. 7 and built in 1908, is the other station that originally housed horses and is currently operating as an AFD fire station.