The AFD Museum recently purchased a little piece of history linked to the founding of the Austin Fire Department. John Bremond, Sr. (b. 1813) led the organization of Hook and Ladder 1, and thus the Austin Fire Department, in 1857. Bremond, Sr. moved his family out West from New York via Galveston in the 1840′s in pursuit of the American dream. His brother, Paul, had already moved to Houston and later became a major railroad man, eventually leading to a city, Bremond, TX, named in his honor. In 1847, John Bremond opened a dry goods store at the corner of 6th St. and Congress Ave. in Austin. In 1865, a year before his death, he brought on his two sons, John, Jr. and Eugene, and created John Bremond and Company. John Jr. and Eugene were major leaders in the Austin Fire Department during the volunteer years of the mid-late 1800′s.
John Bremond and Co. probably became best known during the turn-of-the-century era of Austin for its fresh ground roasted coffee. The AFD Museum recently purchased a 1917 receipt from the locally famous merchant.