One of our most important artifacts we have ever collected was donated to us just this past April. This is a leather fire helmet from a firefighter with the West Austin Fire Co. #7. Their station was located at 1000 Blanco St. in Old West Austin, which still stands today as the only current Austin fire station in operation that dates back to the horse-drawn days. Today, the building is named Fire Station #4 and it is listed as a city of Austin historical structure. West Austin Fire Company #7 was organized between 1904-5 and transitioned from volunteer to paid in 1916. This helmet is from that volunteer period.
We received this helmet from the president of the Houston Firefighter’s Union back in April during our annual San Jacinto Day Celebration. A Houston Firefighter was given this helmet by a family friend and was gracious enough to donate it to the Austin Fire Museum for display. We can’t thank the HFD Local #341 enough for their gift. We also need to thank Austin firefighter Kregg Phillips (Engine 28 C-Shift) for facilitating the exchange.